Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cookies Save the Day

Both monkeys were up well before 6 today. Gross. By 10:30, the cries and chaos were far too much to bear and I was forced to come up with a plan that did not involve clobbering them, which was oh so tempting.
Instead we made Play Dough Cookies, taking the recipe off of This Mama Cooks . The kids loved it and it took up a good portion of the morning...plus add a little milk and we call that lunch in this household. They aren't as pretty as I had hoped, but they were made by one two-year old and two four-year olds (I was watching my friends kids as well). It is a challenge for me to relinquish control, especially to my children, but today, it was more than worth it.

Pulling the sugar cookie dough out of the fridge. Linley picked the colors. I really wanted purple. She was adamant against purple. Probably for the best since I am pretty sure now the finished product would have been poop brown.
Giving the kids their own collection of balls to roll into snakes.Rolling out the snakes. Or wormies, as named by Linley.Sorry for the double chin pic kiddo. It was the only one I got. We all know you are a perfectly chiseled in real life.
The finished product



Thankfully I gave all the rest away. Perfect ending to our morning of baking. Well, except neither kid is asleep in their bed yet. Note to self: crush Dramamine in next batch of survival cookies.

9 comments:

Maile said...

This looks so fun - and you are amazing for tackling that with multiple children!

Audrey said...

Those look great. Did they taste good too?

Megan said...

Those look totally disgusting. Honestly, how could you let your children eat those? You know they were bad too. Anyways...Linley is so cute! She is finally getting some long hair! I like the outdoor table. I also like that Ryder is chubby with a double chin. Makes me feel a little better about myself that there are more like me out there...

Amy said...

wow, my food coloring never turns out that bright!

Tricia said...

what a fun mom you are for making cookies in a really fun way.

eric and girls said...

That does look like a lot of fun. Maybe when I get out of the "oh I am going to feel like crap forever" stage I might have to attempt those.

hoLLy said...

your cookies totally look better than mine did. that recipe just went wrong for me. i didn't have enough butter. big mistake. but when you've already promised your kids you are making them that afternoon, you can't go back on your promise!

Mistie said...

What a great idea to kill the time. And i love all the bright colors!!

Sarah Weiss said...

So I was very depressed about my life, and came to look at your blog. I've decided that you are my idol. Not only are you gorgeous and hilarious, but you have things together (and I know this because I lived with you for a week). If I could become like you, I would be very happy. This will be my new goal in life. You think I'm joking . . . but really I'm not.