Sunday, March 2, 2008

Happy March!

It's March. That means Spring is coming soon, right?? It snowed yesterday. Certainly that is no indication of what the rest of the month holds. Right??? Our last week of February was fun. On Monday my parents stopped in for a friendly visit. We did lunch, then dinner, and ultimately dessert. The kids were in Heaven. Even mama's girl wouldn't leave grandpa's side. Tuesday my parents had meetings in the city all day so I heard a lot of, "When are grandma and grandpa coming back??" "Are grandma and grandpa almost here??" They came, and again, we did dessert. On this same Tuesday I had a dentist appointment. Seemingly here in Jersey, they don't believe in sweet, bubbly, gentle hygienists. They don't believe in hygienists at all. So, in my ten minutes of sitting on "the chair" I had my x-rays, my teeth picked, and polished....all by the dentist. And he was not gentle, or talkative, or bubbly. He hurt me. He made me bleed. Badly. It was like being tortured by Jack Bauer. Seriously. Ten minutes of intense pain which I can only compare to labor. Jerk. He will not have the opportunity to inspect my beautiful teeth again.
Wednesday we loaded up and headed to Brooklyn where we met with some of my parents old business partners and long-time friends of the family. It was the perfect way to end the friendly visit. After we dropped off grandma and grandpa at JFK, Ryder proclaimed, "I have something happy to say. I really love my grandpa and grandma and I don't ever want them to leave again. Mom, when are grandma and grandpa coming back?" This is a question that I am hearing far too often now. So dear mother and father, you tell me what I should tell my son.
Friday after play group Ryder had his first dental appointment. He looked at the big blue chair and was a little apprehensive. I told him they were just going to count his teeth and brush them with the really cool toothbrush sitting across from him. He got excited and jumped in the chair. He loved having the light on his face, and immediately opened widely. The dentist was sweet and really fast, and then he was done. Perfectly beautiful teeth like his mother. He didn't want to get off the chair. He wanted his teeth brushed again because he loved the nasty polish paste. I think I should start going to a pediatric dentist.
Yesterday Allen replaced the toilet in the master bath. It doesn't work, but it sure is prettier than the salmon colored thing that was in there previously. That has to count for something.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Audrey said...

Well, I do get to see a hygentist at my dentist and she is the most brutal flosser I've ever encountered. My blood pressure most go through the roof when she comes in to see me. One time when I visited his office, she was on vacation and there was a sub and she was so gentle. I hate to get the old girl fired, but yikes lady!
Pediatric dentists are the greatest invention. They weren't around when we were little I'm sure of it. My daughter loves the dentist even if she does have terrible teeth.
Now to that salmon colored toilet. I hope you tried to sell that on e-bay or take it to that antiques roadshow that is always on pbs 'cause I'm sure they don't make those anymore!

eric and girls said...

Erica lets hope Ryder continues his love to get his teeth cleaned. I hope you appreciate it and here is why. I took my girls to get their teeth cleaned they both loved it but both had to get some small cavities filled. Hailey did ok with the help of some serious drugs. Then they told Taylin they were going to clean her teeth when they actually gave her a shot. Taylin was not happy I was not happy they lied to her and she now dreads the dentist. So I switch dentists. Taylin in a 4 year old kind of talk tells the dentist off and as the result was referred to another dentist. She would not let that dentist into her mouth for nothing. So long story short she has an appt. at the end of the month at the hospital where she will be completely knocked out to get her simple dental work done. Stupid first dentist who lied to her and gave her such an awful complex about the dentist. So enjoy the fact Ryder enjoys it. Look where I ended up....

Amy said...

That is so sweet that Ryder announced he had a happy thing to say!! I bet your parents are just missing your cuties so much right now!

Dentists are either really good or really bad huh? Hardly any middle-of-the-fence types. My friend goes to a girl dentist that wears a leather jacket and has bread machines in the waiting room so that the office smells good while people get their teeth cleaned!! (I guess its hard to feel apprehensive when you're smelling fresh baked bread!)

Mistie said...

I am sorry about your awful experience. You should have punched him. There are too many people out here with that same attitude and way of doign things!!! Ooooh... that makes me mad. At least Ryder had a fun time!!! Too cute! And i totally get the thing you said about Ryder having a harder time now without being aroudn Grandma and pa. Ashton lately has become more attached too...i think the older they get- it definately makes it harder. That is fun though that they could come and you could spend time (and have dessert TWICE...that's awesome)!!

hoLLy said...

i hate dentistries! it is so hard to find a good one. we finally found an awesome one in corpus and then we moved. never found a good one in austin and then i just found a great one here in mckinney. then i realized he was out of united healthcare's network(after i already went there)oopsie. so, we had to pay 30 bucks for a visit that should've been free. good thing joey is sweet and didn't get mad at me for not researching a bit more. now, on to find another dentist.... oh, and i have had my share of excruciatingly painful dental visits too. i have had pieces of my gums in my mouth after one brutal hygienist about killed me. i never went there again. i thought i was gonig to die. i'm thinking, did she really go to dental hygiene school? or is she secretly a secret dungeon torturer? i think the latter.

Naomi said...

Ooooops, I better make sure that Chad is a good dentist so you don't end up disowning us as friends! LOL! Actually, even though Chad is becoming a dentist, I still say I hate the dentist. Really, what is so nice about opening your mouth and having someone put there hands in there! NOTHING! So glad Ryder did well, makes a huge difference on the battle of going to the dentist when they have a good experience. Oh, and TWO desserts! YUMMMMM!

Maile said...

We know a great dentist in NJ. He's kind of far away, but we figure he's worth the drive after Peter's first experience with a dentist in Jersey City that we're sure said he had 2 itsy bitsy cavities (when he'd never before had a cavity in his life) and then they scammed the insurance company - because we never received a bill. So the 45 minute drive is worth it to go to a dentist that was referred to us by our stake president. Let me know if you want his info!

Ryder is so cute...but I can totally sympathize with you about how to appease your child who just wants grandma and grandpa. I have no words of advice, but we can commiserate together when I get home because I have a feeling Kaia's going to take it really badly.